Tuesday, June 2, 2009

She works hard for the money...

Cliche I know, but!! it's such a true statement. Women, myself included, work hard for their money edsters and most of the time, in the business world anyway, it goes unnoticed.

Yesterday I was privileged enough to enjoy a delicious lunch (which totally beat my sandwich from home (a topic I will discuss in today's blog)) and a scintillating conversation with some of the leading women in business. My EIC (editor in chief) and EAL (editor at large aka my supervisor) invited the editorial staff to give them the opportunity to see how we (they) can change the magazine's focus to include more of these strong, successful women. EIC had an interesting first question- What is success?For these women, it's actually really similar to our goals- make money, enjoy it and basically have a LIFE; and I couldn't be happier!! These women talked about spending time with their families AND being CEOs/Founders/Presidents of million dollar companies, which showed me that there's always a way to do what you love and make money. (Because let's face it, journalists tend to be quite glamorous on a very tight budget,k at least in the beginning) They also spoke of how women are often underrepresented and I realized that as a woman (and soon to be successful journalist- I hope) I need to be more sensitive to that fact no matter where I end up, no matter who I end up writing for.

Anyway back to what today's blog is going to be about FOOD!! You know the feeling, it's 11:45 and you are sitting at your intern "desk" (which most times ends up being a space the size of a high school desk) thinking about where to go for lunch. Lunch in Manhattan, as we all know, can be very expensive, but it doesn't have to be. Having done both paid and unpaid internships, I can tell you that no matter what the case is, you want to be able to eat cheap during your work day. So try Midtown Lunch. It's a blog that has tried and rated many of the "cheap eats" in Midtown- and features everything from sushi to halal to bagels and sandwiches. One of my personal favorites is the Indian buffet at Spice Fusion Indian Bistro on Eighth. Their buffet lunch (complete with dessert!) costs $10.95 and is featured Monday-Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This is a great way to get out of the office (if you have time) with your fellow interns and experience some city life!!


Another tip of the day is to get an unlimited Metrocard. Due to the slight fare hikes they now cost $89 (they used to be $80) but are totally worth it, if you can afford it. Each ride on the subway, now costs $2.25 and if you plan on going out after work, that can really rack up!! With the unlimited card you can ride the subway all day and all night (if you really want to, although let me tell you it gets pretty smelly in the summer!!) virtually on the same $89 you paid at the beginning of the month. It keeps that extra cash in your pocket for crumbs/magnolia cupcakes (I dare not start that war/discussion today- that will be tomorrow) or whatever your little intern heart desires!!


Okay off to get my Venti Skinny Caramel Latte and start my day, which by the looks of it- it's going to be a gorgeous one!!


More tomorrow on Manhattans' rival cupcake shops and what shoes to wear on the subway- the best choice isn't always flats!!


Ciao belle!

No comments:

Post a Comment