Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You Don't Know What You've Got Til It's Gone

Hi Edsters! Sorry I've been MIA the past 2 days, but I've been super-busy at work with meeting celebs, blogging nonstop, attending some cool after-work press events, and even getting to meet the Ed-in-Chief!

I can’t believe I’m already starting my fourth week at my internship. While I feel like it was just yesterday I had the first-day jitters, at the same time, I feel like I’ve been commuting into the city for months. Do you guys feel the same way?

That being said, I’d like to take a moment for internship appreciation. Many of us take our opportunities for granted, even if it’s just doing a coffee run for editors or making billions of copies. The truth is, we’re getting experience in the type of workplace that we’d ultimately like to end up in after graduation. I’m not saying that all of us interns will end up as magazine editors – proficiency in writing and communications can really take us anywhere. I’m talking about the here-and-now. You already have a foot in the door – regardless of where you’re interning, whether it be Vogue or a tiny fashion mag in Philly. You don’t realize what amazing experience you’re gaining until it’s over, when you chat with people who were camp counselors or ice cream scoopers all summer. You realize you were lucky enough to be in a workplace that produced a glamorous glossy book every month (or week, or day) – one that you were proud to call yourself a part of.

If possible, if you're one of several interns at your magazine or in your department, I recommend finding a niche or "beat" to always cover. While you should always be on the lookout for possible new content your mag might include, it's good to identify a particular aspect of your mag that really interests you. For example, the past few days, I've been covering the music scene online. It started out when I got assigned several new bands to look into, and now I've started a regular "band spotlight" type of blog. Just show your editor that you're passionate!

Hope everyone is having a terrific Tuesday. And I promise, no more missed Ed posts!

xoxo,
cyber intern

1 comment:

  1. You're so right! After the first week or so, it's definitely easy to start taking your internship for granted. But when you really think about how many people are looking for jobs and don't have them, anyone who has the amazing opportunity to work in magazines this summer is so lucky! I know when I think about everything I've learned in the past month, I realize how much experience I got! And it's not even half way done!

    ReplyDelete