Saturday, July 6, 2013

Stuck In Stars & Fandom


Hello fellow Edsters!

Have you ever seen a celebrity walk pass you down the street? You turn around, second-guessing if that really was Ricky Gervais walking by central park (that did happen to me, but I was too late to notice). After passing him you turn to your friend with widen eyes, yelling "Oh my gosh! Was that—" and fill in the blank of whoever you saw. We’ve all been guilty of gushing over a celebrity we love, whether it be because he/she is an amazing musician or made us laugh more than anyone else in a movie.

When working at a major magazine you are bound to encounter celebrities. Although my world obviously does not revolve around famous people, I, like many, would get pretty excited if I saw or interacted with a favorite celebrity. We’ve all “fan girl-ed” before and one day at the magazine was guilty of getting a little too excited when given an interview to transcribe. I found myself excited to hear the conversation between the celebrity and freelancer. Feeling a bit unprofessional, I tried to pull myself together after getting too excited hearing the celebrity talk with the journalist on a casual level, something you don't see on television.

This situation made me think about how do you professionally interact as a writer when you greatly admire the person? This past week my boss asked me to sit in a pitch meeting, which also made me think about the way to interact with those you interview. Coming into an interview without bias is difficult because if are favorable of celebrity that should not effect what you are writing on.

In addition to my thoughts about maintaining cool when with celebrities, I thought about the non-celebrities the magazine I work at features each month. The aspect of the publication that has been important to me is how they cover important issues for women across the world. If I was stuck interning somewhere just covering fashion and beauty it might have been fun for a little while but at the end of the day that is not what is really important. Being a features intern gives me the amazing chance to pitch ideas on the issues women face and profile the right, unheard people.

As I continue my internship throughout the summer I will continue to ask myself what do I love, like and hate at my job. I think it’s extremely important to continue to figure out what you want to do in your career. Isn't that half the point of interning? I am always mentally taking notes in the office (and sometimes physically) because I am searching for what I love. Have any tips for how you found your passion? And not how to get too excited over a celebrity? Share below!

Out for now,
Edit Intern


No comments:

Post a Comment