Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Introducing the Small Town Girl Who Scored Her Fashion Internship Via Facebook

Hello Edsters,

Wow. It seems like it was just yesterday when I received the email stating I landed the internship of my dreams with one of my favorite magazines. With what seemed like a long shot when I took the chance and applied, it's crazy to believe now here I am, unpacking my overweight suitcase for my upcoming summer in the city.

I still remember all those times I would flip through the latest fashion issues and think just how fascinating it would be to actually work in the place that brings these pages to life. So when I finally put my thinking cap to good use, I started to sort out strategies of how I could transform this dream of mine into reality. I know you've probably heard the saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know." Well, as much as I wish that wasn't true, life lessons have come to show me that sometimes it is.

I knew I had to somehow make connections  so that I could find people that had ties to these publishing companies. After a little online research on my college's website, I took my findings to the one and only Facebook, and started messaging students I had found that go to my school and had interned at some magazines last summer. And with a little luck, a few girls actually emailed me back and were willing to give me some contact information! It was that information that would serve as my golden ticket to try and land an interview (and the fact that I began my search last fall, which is a lot earlier than most girls even begin to think about a summer internship).

I must admit, it was bittersweet squeezing my mom tight for once last hug before I boarded my plane. Yet as hard as it was to let go, I know this leap of faith will be worth it. Even though I've come to appreciate the small town life I was born and raised in, I've always known a big chunk of my heart belongs in the Big Apple. So Edsters, I've officially switched my adored countryside for this concrete jungle that makes up New York City.

Scared? Yes. Nervous? You bet I am. Yet the balls of nerves are quickly being converted into excitement as the time draws closer to me walking into that magazine office we all know and love. Even though it's still days away until I begin this much anticipated adventure, I've tried on dozens of first-day outfits, flipped through magazines for some fresh beauty tips, and made sure I'm truly ready. Yet the more I try, the more it's clear I probably won't ever be as ready as I want to be. Instead I just have to take the plunge and go for it, while staying true to who I really am!

I'm excited to share this fashion journey with all of you. Through my highs and lows, I want to document as much as I can so that you too can learn from my experience, mistakes included! Because I believe in this industry, we all must stick together! So without further ado, here I go...
How did you score the fashion internship of your dreams?

Talk soon,
Fashion Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment