Friday, August 2, 2013

When Your Dream Internship Isn't What It Seems

Image Courtesy of Flickr


Hey Edsters, 

This week I had the much-anticipated mid-internship review. My supervisor and I discussed what I was doing well and what I needed to work on (and thankfully my choice of clothing was not an issue). More importantly, she had me write down the kind of assignments I wanted to be assigned (assist on a photo shoot, attend a press release, etc.).

As a budding journalist, I want to get my grubby little hands over every press release sent to the Mag to secure a by-line. My supervisor told me she is going to try to get me those kind of assignments, and I’m just so excited.

The one thing I’ve learned at my internship thus far is that I do not want to be a web editor. Primarily working with social media is not something I aspire to do: I want to research, investigate, write and attend fab parties in the process. I want to be hands-on with a piece rather than promoting someone else's work.

Although this isn’t my dream internship, it’s my dream locale. I would absolutely love to write for this Mag in the future, but I definitely don’t want to be an editor. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to find out what I don’t want.

Edsters, have you had an internship (or job!) that helped put you on the right path? Share your story here!

Have a fabulous weekend,

Shelter Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment