Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The End of An Era: What To Do At The End Of An Internship

I can't believe it's almost my last day at TeenMag.com! I've come into work early, stayed late, and pitched my heart out, all while building relationships with editors I admire and learning as much as I can. I've got to soak in the next two weeks—I know they'll fly by!


I've read time and time again that ending an internship on the right note is so important. Here are my tips for saying goodbye and making sure you leave your mark:

Write a hand-written thank you note. Write one for every editor you've worked on your team that summer. Be sure to mention something you've learned from them and how much you've appreciated the time you've shared together.

Tip: If another intern could have written the note you wrote, it's not there yet. It's important you're able to explain to that editor how they inspired you and how they'll effect your career.

Get coffee with your editor. I asked my editor for coffee this week—not an informational interview or anything, I just wanted to get to know her from outside of our cubicle. It was so worth it: She was so sweet, and told me all about her career path, what she liked and didn't like about each job, and where she thinks the industry is going. She even offered to act as a reference and to be my mentor! I am so grateful I had the courage to send that email.

Remind your editors when you're leaving. Be up front and honest about your editors about how much work you're able to handle before you leave. If there's a project that you're working on in your final days, send your editors email updates telling them how far you've gotten, what you expect to finish, access to any documents they may need, and what the next intern needs to do. You'll be remembered as organized and responsible.

And after you leave...

Keep in touch with your editors! Send them email updates and let them know about how what you learned at your mag is helping you at school or at your fall semester internship. Don't be afraid to ask your editors for lunch or coffee next time you're in New York!

...And the other interns, too. You never know who you'll be working with in the future! Check in every once in a while to see what they're up to and meet up for drinks.

Don't lose your fire when you're not in the office! Just because you're in school doesn't give you an excuse to be any less passionate about the magazine industry! Read biographies of your favorite editors to get a feel for how they see things. Read an article about something you usually wouldn't to get a new perspective. Read a new magazine. Email a local magazine about how you can contribute. You've learned all you can—and it's up to you to keep it going!

It means so much to me that you've followed me all summer, Edsters! One last thing I'd like to know: what are your best tips for saying goodbye?

Until Next Time,
Ed's Web Intern

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! online-essay-writer.org Keep stuff like this coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for internship information.. Will look into it.. I know it will be helpful just like you..

    https://www.twitter.com/multivisioninc
    http://www.eintern.com/

    ReplyDelete