Monday, June 25, 2012

The Inside Scoop On Photo Shoots

Since I've had the privilege of living in New York and interning since January, I've had the opportunity to make some very valuable contacts. These people have opened several different doors in the fashion world for me to get my feet wet and try new things; one of them involves being an assistant stylist.

Out of the several tedious intern tasks I've done, I have had the chance to go on photo shoots—a lot.

As a fashion intern at a fashion magazine, there are always shoots constantly going on and they're constantly sending interns to go on them. The first time I ever went on a photo shoot, I was so nervous and had no idea what to expect. Well, have no fear, Edsters. I'm here to give you a quick taste of life on set of a magazine photo shoot.

1) First thing to know, call time is always super early. I've had one that was 5:30 am! Right when you get there, it's important to unpack everything as quickly and as tidily as possible. Then, you begin the long-term relationship that you'll be having with your steamer. You and the steamer are now BFFs.

2) The most important thing to do on set is realize that you have a job to do and that job is to steam, keep things organized, dress the models, and make sure you're ALWAYS keeping busy. Your bosses asked you to go on this shoot for a reason and if you're just sitting around waiting for direction, you aren't of any use to the people there. This is your chance to show them you're a super fabulous intern who can handle anything. I always like to keep thinking in the back of my head that this is what I want to do with my life and with every opportunity I get, I need to show them my strengths and be as helpful as possible (without being overbearing and snotty of course!).

3) Being on set is always so interesting to me because I get to see the magazine, ad campaign, etc. come to life. It's such an incredible experience. People at the mag always say that the first time you see your name or something you worked on appear in the actual magazine, it's the coolest feeling in the world. Sure enough, when I saw the first photoshoot I ever worked on appear in an 8-page spread, I was in awe. I dressed those models. I steamed their dresses and put on their earrings. I got the photographer coffee. All these things that I saw going on came together to produce this wonderful thing that is sitting on the shelves at CVS's all over the country. I don't know about you, but to me, there's nothing cooler than that!

 Until next Monday!
 Xoxo, Fashion Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment