Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Secret Interviewing Trick You Need To Learn

Hey there Edsters! 

Week two at the Lifestyle Mag has come and gone, and I'm feeling really good about how the rest of this experience will go. An exciting opportunity has come my way. I learned this past week that one of the editors is going to need help from myself and the other intern to help write some original content for the website, meaning I'll be able to get a clip or two! 

The news was more than welcome after I'd spent a significant amount of time trying to figure out which sections of the magazine I was going to try to pitch. I will definitely be thinking through other ideas just to get some experience with pitching to the editors, but I'm excited to be asked to help with such a fun project.


These first couple of weeks, the other intern and I have had meetings with different editors on the staff to go over a few of our basic duties, so I've learned that I'll be helping to fact check certain sections of the issue every month, something I've never done before but am excited to get experience in. 

Our meeting with the research editor was very interesting for a few reasons. First of all, the crash course was overwhelming but exhilarating. She brought a genuine enthusiasm for her job to the meeting, and we were able to feed off of her excitement. A task that most interns come away from their job complaining about now seems like an area to gain useful experience and learn to dig a little deeper.

The second reason the meeting was so interesting was because it turned into an hour long question and answer session in which she allowed both of us to pick her brain about breaking into the industry. She admitted that it took her a little bit of extra time and work to realize that magazines were where she wanted to be, but now that she has been able to work her way up she couldn't be happier. 

One of the most interesting pieces of advice she gave us was about interviewing. She of course mentioned the importance of confidence, but was sure to stress that confidence should not translate to being desperate. Thinking back to some former interviews I've had, I realized that being a little too enthusiastic and my overeager body language are most likely the reasons that I didn't land the job. Put some thought into not only how you'll answer questions, but also how you will act, Edsters. Being excited is great, but wanting to walk in and become your interviewers best friend is not. It's a lesson I wish I didn't have to learn the hard way.

How about your interview dos and don'ts? Any tips you'd like to share with you fellow wannabe editors? I'd love to hear any tips you have!

Until next week,
Ed's Lifestyle Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment