Monday, June 4, 2012

3 Things Fashion Interns Need To Know About Rocking Your First Day

Happy Monday, Edsters!

I start my internship this week and I am ready to hit the ground running! Thinking back on how I started my last internship so sheepish and timid, I can’t stress how important it is to start off your summer smiling and eager to work! Between racking my brain on what to wear and how to do my hair, I also thought up three important things to remember on your first day of your internship (or any job, really).

1.    Smile, make eye contact, and have a firm handshake.
Obviously, don’t overdo it and look like a creepy, fashionable Cheshire cat, but make sure you look like you want to be there…which you should! You’re meeting your boss for the first or second time, as well as the rest of the fashion team and your co-workers. People like happy people and first impressions go a long way! It’s so important to make eye contact, smile, and have a firm handshake. I am old-fashioned and think a handshake shows confidence, maturity, and extreme professionalism. So even if you aren’t a natural handshaker, don’t make your hand a floppy, dead fish when your boss extends her hand!

2.    Don’t wear heels!
Oh the funny mistakes of a first time intern. Heels on your first day? No, no, no! You’re going to hit the ground running on your first day; it will definitely not be a cakewalk. You’ll maybe get a 20-minute quick training sesh so be ready to soak it all in. My first day, I was so nervous that I blacked out and couldn’t remember a thing that she said. Therefore, I had to re-teach myself everything! Don’t do this haha. Just take three deep breaths, and don't forget a notepad!

3.    The first week is always awkward.
It gets better; just give everything time. You’re going to be learning people's names, forgetting them, and relearning them, as well as the mag’s messenger system and how to check in and out samples. It can be hectic and crazy, but like I said, soak it all in and enjoy your time! It becomes so much more easygoing and you’ll begin to get the hang of things.

XOXO,
Fashion Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment