Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Dreaded Phone Interview

The telephone. That piece of technology, while useful and convenient, is the bane of my existence. Due to my extraordinary fact checking skills, I am on the phone most of the day, calling to verify information, have things sent to us, or getting permission to use their own facts. But due to my not-so-extraordinary phone manners, I usually end up having a conversation like this:

Me: Hello, this is Edit Intern from a really awesome magazine.
(I do have that part down…)

Me: I have…um a uh… question for your fact checking, I mean public relations, I mean media relations… Do you know what I mean?

Operator: I’ll connect you to the PR department. One moment.

Me: Ok, thanks.
(sigh of relief)

PR Department: Hello, this is PR.

Me: I have…um a uh… question for your fact checking, I mean public relations, I mean media relations… Do you know what I mean?

You get the idea. The first week, it was even worse. But I figured after a few months, I’d get the hang of it! Not happening. I’ve tried everything! Pretend I’m just calling a good friend, channel the great reporters that came long before me and use their power to gain confidence, writing down exactly what I’m supposed to say. None of it works!

I love my internship, but this fear of the phone. It’s gotta go. I have no problem talking face to face with a co-worker, or even a high-up editor. Does any one have any useful tips so I can overcome my irrational phone anxiety?

XOXO,
Edit Intern

5 comments:

  1. When I had to get over this fear as an intern, I started by typing out what I was going to say on the phone and leaving it on the screen in front of me until I didn't need to look at it anymore.

    On the occasions when even that didn't work, I adopted a very personable, self-deprecating attitude and laughed openly at my own bumbling of words. The person on the other end of the phone is a person too - if you can just laugh at yourself and say "let me start that over!", they'll likely chuckle and be game. The ability to laugh at one's own mistakes is a sign of confidence in and of itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I didn't know that there was anyone in the world who hates phone conversations/interviews as much as I do.

    I always write a script for the conversation. Even if I don't follow it, it's just more comforting to have it. (Really that's the reason I hate phone conversations: the fear sticking my foot in my mouth.) The script is also helpful to have some have some back up things to say...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person on the other end of the phone is a person too - if you can just laugh at yourself and say "let me start that over!", they'll likely chuckle and be game. The ability to laugh at one's own mistakes is a sign of confidence in and of itself!
    [url=http://www.bigcommerce.com/]ecommerce software[/url]
    [url=http://www.auroin.com/]SEO[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredibly helpful! I have a possibility of returning to a magazine as an Assistant Editor once I graduate. I interned at this mag over the summer as their Design intern... so now I'm a little freaked out about the daunting task of the fact-checking, which is something I know I'll be required to do, as well as something I'll be required to make my interns that I manage (WHOA MANAGING INTERNS??) do. The tips here are great... even the ones in the comments. Thanks guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I like this post:

    You create good material for community.

    Please keep posting.

    Let me introduce other material that may be good for net community.

    Source: Phone interview tips

    Best rgs
    Peter

    ReplyDelete