Monday, July 26, 2010

The Big Pay-Off

After almost a week off from work (Congrats to my roommate from NC who got married last weekend!), I am ready to head back to work. With a strong second wind (Hey, who hasn’t gotten tired of waking up early everyday!), I’m on a mission.

I still haven’t gotten a chance to write a clip for our website. It’s just bad luck on my part. Intern 1 and 2 just happen to be at the right place at the right time. Their clips have been awesome (Who doesn’t like writing about table decorations and fireworks?) but I’m ready for my turn!

Here is my master plan: Casually run into the web editor at the freebies table (which is the watering hole of our office) or kitchen. Mention that things are a little slow and that I would love to help her out with anything she needs. If that doesn’t work, beg and maybe cry a little bit.

Ok maybe not beg and cry. But I’ve learned that if I want something, I can’t just sit around and wait for someone to give it to me. If I’m not busy, I approach an editorial assistant or research editor and ask what I can do to help them. No one can say I haven’t been trying!

You know that research I’ve been painfully working on the past few weeks? Still not done. But I did get to sit down with one of the editors and go over the finish product. As I sat with her at her desk, she asked my opinion and took my advice on certain things. Not only did she compliment my excellent researching skills (honestly, after all the research I’ve been doing, I better be good at it!), but she respected my opinion and made me feel like I was a valuable member of the staff.
So next time you are feeling stuck or unappreciated, keep in mind that the editors forget how lowly and hardworking we are. A “You didn’t completely screw that assignment up…” probably means “Awesome job, Intern!”

Has anyone received any awesome compliments from your editors? Come on. Make me jealous.

See ya next Monday!
Ed's Edit Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment