Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fake Friday!

Happy Fake Friday Interns!!

It's fake friday because most of the big publishing houses (and companies in NYC in general) have tomorrow off for the holiday. Check your company calendars and make sure you get it off too!! (I wonder if we get paid because it's a company holiday-- I HOPE SO!!)

Anyway hope your week went well!! Any fun plans for the fourth? Anything I should know about ;)? Email me!! Edsmoneyblogger at gmail dot com!!

I'm heading down to Long Island this weekend to hang with some college friends and couldn't be more excited! I'm leaving from Penn Station this Saturday because the traffic is going to be awful!! But! the train is quick and clean (for the most part) and makes me feel tres New York!

This will be my last post for the week because I'm also getting ready for my younger brother to spend a month in Europe for college credit. It's exciting but also kind of weird because he's five years younger than me and although at his age I was doing the same things, I can't help but feel a little protective.

My internship has unfortunately not really materialized into what I had hoped. I keep trying to get more work, but it seems like the amount of work is dwindling, not increasing as I had thought it would. I think for Editors, to teach the Interns how to do something they could do themselves might be hard? But that's what we are here for!! I want to learn, I want to do work!! And yet, most of the time, my requests go unanswered. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can and really get a handle on this business they call publishing- it's absolutely where I want to be, I just have to find the right spot. Hopefully I'll be able to do that immediately after graduation.

Maybe Fashion Intern and Trade Intern could give me some advice (and of course Cyber Intern)-- Do you like your industries better? I feel like both Fashion and Trade get to do so many interesting things throughout the week and I'm thinking Fashion writing may be where I'm heading as my original dream--writing for the NY Times-- may be out since the NY Times may no longer exist in it's current form. Is that scary- yes of course!! I don't think the NYTimes will go out of business (it cannot! I rely on it so much!) but! i do think within the next year or so it will dramatically change.

OH!! I forgot to tell you about this interns!! I checked out Adobe Air- which is the platform that the NY Times Reader uses- and it's awesome! It's kind of like cover flow in iTunes and it has a similar apple feel. I'm going to download it on my laptop (macbook pro) and play with it. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Have a safe and fun weekend!!

xoxoxo $$ Intern ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment