Monday, August 22, 2011

The Importance of Playing the Name Game

Even though it took a while, the fashion closet has really started feeling like home to me. Walking into the room and being greeted by clothes and accessories in every shape, size, color and pattern imaginable are a daily experience I’ve really come to look forward to. The fact that my internship is coming to an end is bittersweet; I’m looking forward to having a small break before school starts, but at the same time I’ve spent so much time here and met so many great people that I’m going to miss it. But let’s flashback to about three months ago, when I was first starting out and didn’t know anyone’s name...


Before my interview, I studied the Fashion Mag’s masthead the way a lawyer studies for the bar. I could name every fashion and accessories editor and assistant in my sleep. I knew who represented which market and what designers they worked with.


What I didn’t know is what all these people looked liked.


For my next internship, I’m definitely going to make it a point to learn where every editor’s office or desk is. At the Fashion Mag, we’re always consulting the editors and asking them whether certain samples should be returned or not. Actually knowing who’s who makes things a million times easier.


So while my time here is coming to an end, here are two things to take to your next internship:


Pay Attention: If you’re given a tour of the office, take note of who sits where. It may sound like common sense, but if you don’t force yourself to pay attention, you may not remember. Even better, bring a notepad with you.


Always Ask: When in doubt, ask questions. I made this mistake once and called one of the editors by the wrong name – majorly embarrassing. I should have asked the fashion assistant before taking a chance like that.

How did you learn everyone names, Edsters? Did you get a grand tour of complete introductions, or were you left to figure it out on your own?


XOXO,

Fashion Intern


No comments:

Post a Comment