Monday, August 15, 2011

End Of Internship Etiquette

Hey Edsters!


As your internship draws to an end, there are a few little things that need to be done before you walk out of the office for the last time. Keep these things in mind during your last month.


Two week’s notice: If you’re like me and are one of many interns, your editor may not remember which intern ends on what date. I’d suggest following the two week’s rule and sending an e-mail stating your last day, and a brief paragraph thanking your boss for the opportunity and experience. Be genuine with this – don’t just say you learned a lot, but give an example. Just don’t write a novel, you don’t want to be annoying!


Paperwork: If you’re receiving a stipend, be sure to fill out any forms that may be required of you and get appropriate signatures. Likewise, if you’re interning for school credit, make sure everything is in order on both your side and your college’s. My school gave me a lot of problems in the beginning of the summer and didn’t want to give me credit for my internship! Avoid a situation like this by verifying that everything is in order. Also, if you have schoolwork to complete for your internship…get started! (Hmm, just remembered that I have a 10 page paper due next week about my internship. I better get to work!)


Thank You Note: Once your last day finally rolls around, think about giving your editor a small thank you card with a handwritten message inside. It will make you stand out and allows you to leave on great terms.

What else needs to be done before the final day? Share your tips!


XOXO,
Fashion Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment