Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Introducing...The Campus Mag EIC At Her Dream Edit Internship

Hello there, fellow Edsters! 

I'm here to tell you about how I landed my dream, and I do mean dream, internship this summer. Four years ago, back when I was an even younger whippersnapper than I am now, I found an internship program online. I quickly realized there was probably no better opportunity out there for aspiring journalists. I was much too young to apply, and I also thought there was no way that I would ever (ever, ever, ever) be able to land something like that. But I bookmarked it anyway and about once a year, I reviewed the intern qualifications. I wanted to make sure that I was building my resume to their standards, thinking that if I prepared myself for something of that caliber, then maybe I could land something similar.

Well, you already know how this one ends. A few months after sending in my application (so maybe patience isn't my strong suit) I found out that I got the internship. These days I'm busy doing highly productive things like counting down the days until I leave for New York and stalking program alumni on Twitter. I also occasionally take a break from that to do some school work.

Speaking of school, I'm a junior in college studying magazine journalism and new media.
I'm also the editor in chief of the campus magazine, which means I'm constantly juggling academic and magazine obligations. That's nothing new, though I joined the newspaper staff at my high school as a freshman and was named editor as a junior, just in time to facilitate the paper's transition to a newsmagazine. I've been hooked on magazines ever since.

Edsters, I can't tell you how many opportunities have come from my involvement with campus media, not to mention friends and future industry contacts. If you aren't involved with campus journalism, consider it. For now, that's my biggest piece of advice. But something tells me I'll have more for you after this summer. I mean, I'll be spending two months in an unfamiliar city and doing my best not to mess up what is, in my completely unbiased opinion, the greatest internship on the planet. What could go wrong, right?

Don't answer that. Just come along for the ride.

Until next Tuesday, Edsters!
Edit Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment