Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting Over First Day Internship Jitters

Well, here I am, Edsters. Sitting in my student housing room the day before my internship, and trying to figure out how to make these first week jitters go away. This isn't my first internship, but I'm still just as nervous to walk into the office for the first time tomorrow as I was last semester. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself, but is it rational to feel this nervous the second time around as well?

Before starting my first internship, I had more questions going through my head than I could keep track of. Would my bosses like me? Would I catch on to my responsibilities quickly? Would I do anything embarrassing? Am I even prepared to live in New York City? Luckily, I was able to quickly fall into a routine at my last internship and felt that I was able to have a very productive experience, but I can't help but wonder about how this job will differ from the last.


For now, even though I'm trying to convince myself not to worry, I'm still dealing with the same whirlwind of questions and "what if's" about my new gig, because no matter how hard I try, I know I'm bound to make a mistake or two. I'm just desperately hoping they're not going to be detrimental.

Despite the questions and butterflies in my stomach, I'm beginning to translate my nervousness into excitement. I've done my research on the magazine that I'll be working at. I've read the mastheadmemorized regular columns and sections of the magazine, and have scoured their website backwards and forwards. If I can muster up some confidence before walking through the office doors tomorrow morning, I think I'm going to be able to make this job experience just as productive as my last one. Until then, I'm playing the waiting game to learn who I will be working with and what assignments I'll be responsible for. Fingers crossed for an eventful first day!

How do you manage to get yourself through the pre-internship jitters? Any tips for your fellow Edsters? Feel free to share in the comments below!

Till Next Wed, 
Lifestyle Intern

2 comments:

  1. How crazy! I am starting my first internship tomorrow too! (5/31/12). I googled "nervous about first day of internship" and your post came up. I am starting a marketing internship with a surf company and have terrible butterflies. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly! I hope your butterflies were able to subside and you had a great first day. Feel free to comment with any tips for other first day interns, we'd love to hear them!

      Delete