Monday, July 18, 2011

Navigating New York City: Small Fish in a Big Pond

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been telling anyone who would listen that I aspire to work in New York City one day. The ladies of Sex and the City made New York look so glamorous, and I wanted to immerse myself in the city’s culture.

Let’s get real.

I’ve always had big city dreams, but the truth is as a Jersey girl I’ve been to New York more in the past month than I’ve been for the last 10 years. Therefore, I had no actual knowledge of the city. I’ve only been on the subway once before my internship!

So what do I get when I combine my lack of experience navigating the city, my terrible sense of direction, and a fashion internship?

The most rewarding summer of my life.

As I mentioned in a previous post, runs are a common duty of most fashion interns. Often, the editors give us a list of places to pick up samples from. Many of my fellow interns live in New York, so finding a location isn’t a problem. However, for me it’s a HUGE problem.

Fortunately, I discovered an intern’s best friends: Google and HopStop.com. Okay, so you clearly live under a rock if you don’t use Google, but it’s honestly a lifesaver. Instead of asking my editor for the address of places, I look them up myself. (But if you’re confused, definitely ask your editor – it’s better to be certain than to waste time and go to the wrong location!)

The second, HopStop.com, is the only reason how I have managed to get the job done at my internship. The site serves major cities across the U.S. and gives specific directions on how to get from point A to point B. It literally guides you every step of the way – from the office to the subway to the street. The only downsides I’ve encountered are that it doesn’t always direct you to the shortest route possible, and doesn’t factor in delays or construction. However, until I become more comfortable with the subway system, I’ll continue using HopStop.

So have no fear, any fellow non-New Yorkers! If I can find my way around, anyone can. Although my first few times on the subway were nerve-racking, I’m glad that I have the opportunity to learn my way around – a skill I will undoubtedly use for the rest of my life.

How do you find your way around your city? Are you a knowledgeable native, or a newbie like me?

See you on the subway,
Fashion Intern

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the website! I'm moving to New York soon and I don't know my way around at all, so that will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete