Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Dream Internship Starts Now

I never pack ahead of time. Just two weeks ago, only 24 hours before I was supposed to leave for the airport to fly home, my room at school was decorated by sweaters and t-shirts strewn randomly over chairs and doors, books dumped on the bed, desk, dresser and floor, and copies of the school newspaper buried among piles of blankets, while my two suitcases sat empty in the middle of the floor.

But now I’m sitting at home, a full four days before I leave, and my suitcases are packed. I’ve read through my packing list five times. All the items on my “things to do before I leave” list are checked off. The airline won’t let me check in and print my boarding pass yet, but other than that, I’m ready to leave. Seriously – right now.

In four days – four long days – I will be on my way to one of my favorite cities to work at one of my favorite magazines. I will be an editorial intern at the major national mag that is the reason I got into journalism in the first place. I could ramble about how excited I am for ages, but in short, this is basically my dream internship.

I haven’t received many details from the mag, other than that I am to arrive at 9:30 a.m. on my first day. The job description said the position consists mostly of research and writing, though, so it sounds like there could be some substantial work. Of course, I’m up for anything. My past internships have been with newspapers, so I’m excited to see how a monthly magazine works (especially the magazine that has been my favorite for the past 10 years).

I still have more than a week to wait, though, and the butterflies are already starting to nest in my stomach. Luckily, I’m all done packing, so I can spend the next four days reading back issues of the magazine.

See you next Wed!
Ed's Edit Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment