Tuesday, August 14, 2012

5 tips for a great last week

Hey Edsters! 
Somehow I'm coming up on my last week at the magazine. This has been the best experience I could have hoped for and I've met some amazing people, so leaving is the last thing I want to think about right now. Looking at my schedule for this week, though, I don't think I'll have much time to think about it until I'm packing up my office on Friday afternoon. Here are a few things you should do to stay busy in your last week, inspired by my slightly-overscheduled office calendar.


1. Talk about freelancing
If you've done any writing this summer, think about asking your supervisor if you can occasionally freelance for the magazine after you leave. Chances are, most of the assignments you've been given can be done from your bedroom at home just as easily as they can be done from the magazine's office. Aside from the obviously valuable clips you'll get, think about how much easier it will be to stay in touch - you won't have to send any of those awkward update emails because you'll still be in regular communication with at least one editor.

2. Take on one last project
One problem with the timeline of summer internships is that by the time you've really settled in and figured out how the magazine operates, it's time to head home. That's why taking on a project (that you can finish quickly) in your last week is a good idea - you know what the editors are looking for and you know the reader, more now than any other time during your internship. You might as well capitalize on that and give them one more reason to remember you.

3. Get coffee with someone on staff you've never met
This is your chance to hear about one more person's experience at the magazine. Plus, in one week when you're boarding your flight home, you'll be glad you did everything you possibly could to make connections at the magazine.

4. Meet with HR
If you haven't already, try to schedule a meeting with someone in human resources. While editors are probably your best connections for jobs, it's always good for an HR representative to have you in the back of their mind when something becomes available.

5. Don't go overboard with the gifts
I've heard of some interns bringing elaborate parting gifts for the entire office on their last day. I'm sure opinions vary pretty widely on this topic, but I think that something small for each of your editors, combined with a very personalized thank you note, is the way to go. Plus, wouldn't you rather be remembered because you did a lot of great work, not because you bought everyone $50 Starbucks gift cards?

I don't think I'll see much of the world outside my office this week, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Have a great last week, Edsters!

Edit intern

1 comment: